Can a Felon Vote in Minnesota?

Minnesota is a northern US state that borders both Lake Superior and Canada. It is home to 5.5 million people.

Currently, the state houses 10,100 adult inmates. 95% of those inmates are male, while the remaining 5% are female. Correction facilities in Minnesota are managed by a total of 4,300 staff members.

Prohibiting prisoners from practicing their right to vote is considered as an ethical violation. Arguments suggesting that people in prisoners are not supposed to vote can be seen as an act against the ultimate goal of making them responsible citizens.

Can Felons Vote in Minnesota?

In the state of Minnesota, a person’s right to vote is automatically suspended upon incarceration. Prisoners do not get their right to vote back until after they have been freed from prison.

There is a rule dictating that a prisoner should also be finished with his period of probation or parole before he regains the right to vote. This means that just because the inmate is no longer in prison, as long as he is on probation or parole, he may not vote.

Lawmakers in the state are currently debating whether this is still necessary. Currently, many politicians are leaning towards giving prisoners voting rights immediately after being released regardless if they are still on parole, although this is yet to be legally confirmed.

Registration can be done online, by mail, or by presenting oneself in person and submitting an application form.

How Felons Can Restore Voting Rights in Minnesota?

Ex-prisoners are treated as unregistered voters once released. Therefore, the first thing they must do is register for the upcoming election.

  • Online registration can be an option, although officials prefer a mail or personal submission.
  • Registering in person can be done by going to the city hall.
  • After processing, the person will be issued a voter’s ID which he will need to present on the day of the election.

Sources

http://vote.minneapolismn.gov/voters/register

http://vote.minneapolismn.gov/voters/ELECTION-DAY-REGISTER

Leave a Comment

Read previous post:
Can a Felon Vote in Michigan?

The state of Michigan is the tenth most populated US state, serving as the home of 9.9 million people. It...

Close