Can a Felon Vote in Nevada?

Nevada was the 36th territory to have joined the United States of America. It’s capital population was 55,274 by the end of the year 2016.

Nevada’s prison population in 2016 was 13,994 inmates. 90.94% (12,726 inmates) of Montana’s inmate population were male while the remaining 9.06% (1,268 inmates) were female. This inmate population makes up 25.3% of the state’s capital population.

Voting is the soul of a democracy. It is a fundamental and constitutional right on which our civil independence originate. Without the people’s votes, a government can never be democratic but a dictatorship.

Can Felons Vote in Nevada?

Persons convicted of a felony and serving jail time, under probation or awaiting parole grants are ineligible to vote in the state of Nevada.

The felon’s right to vote are reserved during their incarceration, under probation terms or awaiting parole grants. Offenders charged with misdemeanour may vote.

The state of Nevada has been known to be an advocate for the reinstatement of felons after serving time for their crimes.

The elections have always been the core of a democracy. It is the sail that dictates the course to where the country moves. With the citizen’s vote, including that of the minorities, a democratic government is formed.

How Felons Can Restore Voting Rights in Nevada?

A felon’s right to vote is restored immediately after final discharge from jail. These felons are those who were convicted of non-violent crimes.

Felons convicted of heinous crimes and second-time offenders don’t get their voting rights restored immediately. These felons need to be restored to their rights by the court on which they were convicted. The felon needs to get hold of a document of honorable discharge or a court order restoring the felon’s electoral privilege. These documents are submitted together with the voter’s registration form upon the felon’s re-registration as a voter of Nevada.

Sources

http://www.nv.gov/
http://www.doc.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/docnvgov/content/About/Statistics/Monthly_Reports_by_Year/StatFacts_072016.pdf
http://www.felonvoting.procon.org/sourcefiles/NevadaCode.pdf

Leave a Comment

Read previous post:
Can a Felon Vote in Nebraska?

Nebraska was the 37th territory to have joined the United States of America. It’s capital population was 258,379 by the...

Close